prevent the properties from accepting new
guests until at least Oct. 31.
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, the company’s
first branded all-inclusive resort, and Hyatt
Place Los Cabos both shut down and won’t
take new reservations until mid-October.
The Esperanza, an Auberge resort where
President Obama stayed during the G-20
Mexico Summit in 2012, will be closed until Oct. 13.
Apple Leisure Group’s AMResorts, operator of four all-inclusive resorts in the area
— two Secrets, one Dreams and one Zoetry
property — evacuated all its guests after its
properties sustained substantial damage from
the hurricane and its resulting debris.
“The situation in Los Cabos is bad,” said
Apple Leisure Group CEO Alex Zozaya.
“We have four hotels there, and three will
be out of commission for several weeks.”
He added that a number of the company’s
employees lost their homes.
Kerzner International’s One&Only Pal-milla resort evacuated its guests ahead of
the storm and won’t accept new guests until Sept. 30. As of press time, hotelier Riu
said its Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
and Hotel Riu Santa Fe would start welcoming guests late last week.
And the Wyndham Cabo San Lucas sustained broken windows and signage damage but was “operational on a limited basis” as of midweek.
Meanwhile, Carnival Cruise Lines,
whose next scheduled Cabo San Lucas stop
is Oct. 4, said in a statement that it “will
continue to assess the situation during the
intervening time period.”
Odile made landfall with winds as high
as 127 mph, according to Accu Weather.
As of Sept. 18, about 135 people had been
treated for minor injuries, though there
were no reports of deaths or serious inju-
ries, according to the Associated Press.
Still, more than 239,000 people lost power in the region, which is about 1,000 miles
south of San Diego. And while Mexican
officials said almost all those affected were
slated to get power back by late last week,
reports of looting surfaced midweek, triggering a jump in local patrol duty.
Additionally, many of the roads to the
airport were not passable as of Sept. 17. No
damage estimates had been reported as of
press time last week.
The hurricane marks a setback for an
area where tourism had been on the rise
in recent years. Los Cabos, which includes
Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo, at-
tracts about 2 million visitors a year, about
the same number as Jamaica. Passenger
numbers through Los Cabos Airport rose
about 12% last year, up 29% from 2009,
the nadir of the recession.
With that momentum in mind, Mexican
tourism officials this week will meet in New
York with some of the industry’s larger travel
providers to address the region’s challenges
during the upcoming weeks and months.
Mexico Tourism Secretary Claudia Ruiz
Massieu and Mexico Tourism Board CEO
Rodolfo Lopez-Negrete will both discuss “a
plan of action” with U.S. travel professionals
and some of the travel trade on Sept. 25.
Regardless, the extent of the damage
prevented many resort operators last week
from estimating when they would be able
to return to normal operations.
The Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf
Resort said that all guests and employees
were safe but that the property would be
closed “until a definitive assessment of the
damage is complete.”
InterContinental Hotels Group’s Holi-
day Inn Express Cabo San Lucas and
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos were serv-
ing guests as of last week but had suffered
“some structural damages” and weren’t
planning to accept new reservations until
a yet-to-be-determined date.
Both Grupo Vidanta’s Grand Mayan Los
Cabos and Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos
announced that they would not be taking
new guests until further notice, and the latter property had evacuated about a third of
its approximately 300 guests as of Sept. 17.
Apple Leisure Group’s Apple Vacations
said last week that it was contacting all
passengers scheduled to travel to Los Cabos through Sept. 20 to rebook them for
a future date or alternative destination.
Pleasant Holidays said it was doing the
same for travel agency partners with vacations scheduled through Oct. 1.
MLT Vacations, which said it had “a small
number” of guests in Los Cabos during the
hurricane, is advising travel agents with clients planning Los Cabos vacations before
Oct. 4 to contact the company for rebookings.
Gogo Vacations, which had 133 passengers in Los Cabos at the time of the storm,
has an outreach program to offer assistance
to stranded customers. Clients scheduled
for departure through Oct. 31 are being offered reaccommodation services.
Meanwhile, Polo was upgraded from
a tropical storm to a hurricane late Sept.
17 and had the potential to approach Los
Cabos over the weekend, though it was
expected to stay offshore, according to the
National Hurricane Center.
Tom Stieghorst contributed to this report.
48 SEPTEMBER 22, 2014 WWW.TRAVELWEEKLY.COM
Continued from Page 1
Above, Los Cabos Airport before
Hurricane Odile struck the Baja
Peninsula. Right, the storm left the
facility with piles of debris and large
sections of its roof missing.
Regal Princess among ship inspections set for CruiseWorld
‘Frozen’ attraction coming to Epcot at Disney World
The Regal Princess, which will make its debut in Fort Lauderdale’s Port Everglades in
November, will be available for private tours
on Nov. 4 for attendees of Travel Weekly’s
Ship inspection opportunities are offered
on a first-come, first-served basis.
The new Regal Princess inspection is being offered in addition to a full roster of
ship inspections scheduled for Nov. 8 and 9.
Ships being offered for inspection on those
days are: the Carnival Breeze and Freedom;
the Celebrity Reflection; Holland America’s
Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam and Wester-dam; the MSC Divina; the Norwegian Getaway; the Ruby Princess; and Royal Caribbean International’s Allure and Oasis of the
Inspections of the Disney Wonder have
reached capacity and are no longer available.
“We are dedicated to bringing the most
up-to-date news and information to our
readers, and we bring that same dedication
to our events,” said Travel Weekly Editor in
Chief Arnie Weissmann. “We’ve been working closely with Princess Cruises to make
this happen, and we’re thrilled that Princess
is offering Cruise World attendees the first
peek at the industry’s newest ship.
“Cruise World has been designed to give
attendees the tools and insights they need to
expand their businesses, and from the selec-
tion of speakers to the development of the
trade show to direct access to ships, we’re
fully committed to providing attendees with
exceptional opportunities for growth.”
The complete speaker roster and agenda
for Travel Weekly’s Cruise World is now
available online at www.cruiseworldshow
For this year’s event, nearly 30 leaders
from the cruise, vacation packager, consor-
tium and host agency communities will be
taking the stage to share their perspectives
In addition, as is a hallmark of the Travel
Weekly event, nearly 20 successful travel
agency peers will be among the presenters
and general session speakers throughout the
three-day conference to share their personal
stories and business development plans
with conference participants.
To register for the Regal Princess preview event, delegates must be registered for
Cruise World. Space on this inspection is expected to fill quickly.
To register, to view the full conference
program or for more information about
ship inspections, visit www.cruiseworld
By Michelle Baran
Less than a year after the Walt Disney Co.
released the hit animated movie “Frozen,”
the company has announced plans for a
“Frozen” attraction at the Norway Pavilion in Walt Disney World’s Epcot park in
Construction has already begun on the
attraction, which is slated to open in early
2016. It will be a re-creation of Arendelle,
the fictional land that serves as the backdrop to “Frozen,” and will feature a char-acter-greeting location where guests can
meet the film’s stars, Anna and Elsa.
Tom Staggs, chairman of Disney Parks
and Resorts, announced the attraction in
the Disney Parks Blog but did not state
whether it would be a ride.
Even so, it will replace an existing ride,
Maelstrom, a log chute adventure through
Norwegian-themed scenery and folklore.
Maelstrom, which debuted in 1988, will
close on Oct. 5.
In his Theme Park Insider blog, Robert
Niles wrote that Disney is adding “Frozen”
to Epcot “not to try to extend the park’s
appeal so much as it is doing so to try to
meet the expectations of fans it is attract-
ing to the Walt Disney World Resort —
fans who expect to be able to spend time
there with their beloved Disney franchises,
which now include ‘Frozen.’”
While “Frozen” fans are surely rejoicing,
and perhaps even crossing off the days on
their calendar until the attraction opens,
there has been some backlash on blogs and
on social media about the loss of the clas-
sic Maelstrom ride as well as about wheth-
er Arendelle belongs in Epcot, a theme
park that was initially devoted to science,
history and nonfiction destinations.
But according to Staggs, Anna and Elsa
will have a bigger presence elsewhere in the
parks, as well. Starting in early November at
Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom, there
will be a nightly performance during holi-
day season that will feature Elsa transform-
ing Cinderella’s Castle into an ice palace.
Additionally, the film’s characters —
Anna, Elsa, Kristoff and Olaf — will be
making appearances at Mickey’s Once
Upon a Christmastime Parade.
Everywhere one turns at Disney, “
Frozen” fever shows no signs of abating.
“Frozen,” which debuted on Nov. 27,
2013, already ranks among the company’s
top franchises and has brought in more
than $1.2 billion in domestic and foreign